Disclaimer: Today's episode is about grief, and more specifically about infant loss. This episode is about experiencing God through that grief, but I just wanted to be open upfront that there are specific details about Marti's stillbirth in this conversation.
Our God desires to be with us through each season of life. The beautiful seasons. The hard seasons. And the seasons we are broken.
Marti Sturhahn is such a dear friend who supported me after my miscarriage, and has been so influential in my faith. Today, she shares openly about holding fast to God in the midst of deep loss. I am so grateful for her willingness to be honest about her experience and provide hope and encouragement for when we experience the brokenness of this world.
Friend, you are not alone, and I hope today's episode is a support and encouragement in your own walk with Christ.
My Key Takeaways
1) Saying "God is good" doesn't mean our circumstances are good. Marti shares about making a specific choice to hold on to God's goodness through the grief. This didn't mean the loss of her daughter was anything close to good, but it was the perspective that God is still good in the midst of deep loss.
2) God is big enough to handle us being real with Him. It's okay to be real with our God. We see examples of this all throughout Scripture. He's big enough to handle our fear, our anger, and our sadness.
3) Being there for someone walking through a difficult season doesn't always require very many words. Marti shares how meaningful it was when people just provided for her and her family as they navigated the loss. Making dinners. Washing and folding laundry. Listening. Just being present.
4) This is not our home. Experiences of loss are powerful reminders of what's to come: A beautiful place awaiting us where there is no more pain, loss, or brokenness.
Resources Related or Mentioned
- If you're walking through your own experience of loss, our team would love to pray for you. Just send us an email.
- Wandering Wilde's Bible Study Journals
- Connect with Wandering Wilde on Facebook and Instagram.
Where I've Been Wandering
At the close of every episode of the podcast, I share a little bit about where I've been wandering in my own time with God. Today, I wanted to share the verses I clung to during my miscarriage experience. Hebrews 6:19-20 says, "We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This verse reminded me that Jesus had a place awaiting me, and my family, and he wants nothing more than to have an eternal relationship with each of us. I hope this is an encouragement to you today as well!
Help Us Spread the Word
We want this to be an honest, encouraging, and inspirational resource to remind you that you're not alone, that you truly can grow closer to God each day, and that you have all you need to be transformed by the Word. We'd love for you to help us tell other women about it! You can do that in 2 ways:
1) If you listen on Apple Podcasts, please take a moment to leave a review! That's such a big help to us.
2) Send the link to this episode to a couple friends or family members that should hear it. I hope it even launches some good conversations!
Again, thank you for listening and we'll be back with Episode 6 in just a couple weeks!